Aim: To help small businesses increase brand exposure. And increase leads using Instagram business accounts.
Starting an Instagram for your business can be a great way to connect with customers. And create a brand identity. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to creating an Instagram for your business. From setting up your social media account. To creating content that engages your audience.
What to do in Instagram for business account? This is one of the most common questions we get asked by our clients. This article should answer this question.
You will learn How To Setup & Use Instagram Business Accounts
Instagram is a popular photo-sharing app with over 200 million active users. It’s a great platform for promoting your business, and there are a lot of ways to use it to reach your target audience. Let’s dive in and see how to create content, target followers, and grow your following.
Decide why you are using Instagram Business Profile
Before you start planning your Instagram business profile. It’s important to first decide why you are using the platform. Are you trying to grow your following? Are you looking for a new or additional way to engage with your customers? This will help determine some of the content and features to use on your business account.
For small businesses, Instagram business accounts can be a powerful marketing tool. The best Instagram account business strategy is to have a controlling idea. What do we mean by a controlling idea?
A controlling idea is the reason why someone should follow your Instagram account. Ask yourself this question, “If someone followed us for 30 days, what would they get from it?”
For example, if you were to follow Kaybox Instagram. You would learn tips and tricks to help you get more leads for your business. This is out controlling idea. Helping small business owners get more sales.
Exercise: Think of one good reason people should follow your Instagram page? What would they get out of it?
Your Instagram marketing strategy
Most business owners when starting on Instagram start posting random posts. Usually it’s photos of their services, products or even their dog. Whilst this is not all bad. To succeed on Instagram, you need a good strategy. This will help you reach your goals.
So whilst Instagram is good for promoting your products. you can use Instagram as a lead generation platform too!
Exercise: Answer the following questions to create a simple marketing strategy:
- What are you goals? This should be measurable. I.e. how many followers do you want to grow to and by when? Do you want to receive enquiries? If so, how many per month?
- Who’s your target audience? Be clear about your target market. Create a persona so when you post. You’re speaking to them directly and not to random audience. This will make your posts resonate with them.
- What is your controlling idea (from the previous section)?
- What type of content do you want to create? It should be 80% educational, 20% promotional. Will it be text, photos, videos? Select a format that is easy for you to do.
- What software tools do you need? To design posts and schedule them you will need to use software.
- How will you keep track and know you’re on target?
When deciding why you are using Instagram for business, consider the following:
- Instagram is a visual platform that’s used to share photos and videos of your business
- Instagram is popular with millennials. And other age groups who look for visual content
- Instagram is used to create a following for your business
- Instagram is used to share your latest blog posts, products, and services.
- Using Instagram to build relationships with potential customers and followers
How to use Instagram for business
Step 1: Sign Up For An Instagram business account
You can either use your existing personal account and switch it to business. Or you can start from scratch.
Steps to sign up for an Instagram business account:
1. From your phone, download the Instagram app for iOS, Android or Windows.
2. Open app and click Sign up.
3. Fill in your email address.
4. Type your preferred username and password. Fill in your profile info.
5. Click Next.
You’ve now created a personal Instagram account.
To switch to a business account, do the following.
How To Switch From Personal Instagram account to Instagram business account:
1. Go to your profile and click on the Hamburger menu. You’ll find it in the top-right corner.
2. Click Settings. If you see ‘Switch to Professional Account’ click it. Otherwise, go to the next step.
3. Click Account.
4. Select Business
5. You can connect your Facebook business account which we recommend. Follow the steps to do this.
6. Select your business category
7. Fill in the relevant contact details.
7. Click done Done.
Make sure that you have the correct location for your business (i.e., city). To ensure product availability on Instagram.
As an example. If you are going to sell food products online. Be sure that you select the right country or region. So that people will find what they are looking for when searching for specific dishes!
Step 2: A winning Instagram strategy
It’s hard for your Instagram business account to get the attention it deserves. Getting started on Instagram can be confusing, intimidating, and time consuming. Some good business ideas Instagram accounts use solve problems for their audience.
Creating a clear strategy before starting out. Is essential for any business looking to use Instagram as a marketing tool.
Determining your goals and objectives for the account. Will help you measure success. And develop effective strategies to reach your target audience.
What do you hope to achieve with your Instagram account? How will you measure success?
Use the following steps to create your own Instagram strategy.
- Decide what your business is all about on Instagram.
- Choose the right hashtags to use with your posts (more on this below)
- Choose the right images and videos to use in your posts.
- Plan engaging and interesting posts that will capture people’s attention.
Step 3: Optimise your Instagram Business Accounts
The bio should let people know what you do and why they should follow you. We recommend you have four lines with using the following structure:
- Story – The first line should Introduce yourself. Who are you? Why are you on Instagram? Eg, ‘Community Of Entrepreneurs’ It allows people to get an idea of who we are, and whether they should be interested in our content.
- Positioning – Your second line should explain why people should follow you. For example, ours is ‘Actionable Instagram Tips & Insights’. If you’re an advertising agency, you could say ‘Dropping Daily Facebook Ad Tips
- Credibility – Why should people trust you? What makes you different from the other accounts? With so many people claiming to be experts, this line of your bio should provide some credibility. Anything that proves your expertise in your niche will work. After you add this, your conversions will increase.
- CTA – Your final line on your bio should give people something to do. What do you want people to do after visiting your profile? This could be ‘Click link in bio’ ‘DM to get started’
Adding contact information to your Instagram account. Is a great way to make it easy for people to get in touch with you.
Include your contact information on your profile. This will make it easy for people to get in touch with you. If they have any questions or want to learn more about your products or services.
Include your email address. You can use your company’s domain name or your personal email address.
Next, you’ll need a phone number. You can either include the number on your website. As well as on your Instagram account profile. Finally, you’ll need a physical address. You can include this address on your website or on your Instagram account profile.
When you add contact information to your profile. Instagram creates buttons so users can call or text you.
Step 4: Share high-quality content on social media
To grow on Instagram and stay relevant is all about the quality of your posts. For every post, you should ask yourself why people should read or engage with this post. What’s in it for them? What will they get out of it? And what do you want them to do next?
Here’s a list of Some Instagram formats that you can choose for your brand:
Using carousels you can post up to 10 photos in a single post. Users can swipe right to see the next posts. These are high-engagement posts.
You have different ways of using carousels:
- You can showcase your portfolio or pictures of an event
- Have before/after pictures – they have to swipe right to see what the outcome was
- Use as a mini-blog or tutorial for example. The main image can have a title “7 Hacks to Grow Your Instagram Followers” then on the each slide you give one hack. With a call-to-action on the last slide
To use the carousel effectively. Make sure that the first slide attracts the user to want to swipe right and see the next slide.
One way to get started with Instagram for a business is to use Instagram Stories. An Instagram story allows businesses to share short videos. That can be viewed on Instagram and Facebook. They don’t stay on your feed and disappear after 24 hours.
By creating and sharing stories. Businesses can reach a wider audience. And create a more personal connection with their followers.
Stories are more informal. For example, on they way to a meeting you come across something that you want to share with your followers.
You can also put a story up to let them know you’ve posted a new post. And give them a reason to view it.
This is the most common way to use Instagram. For the posts, you should come up with a content plan.
For example, on Monday you will post an inspirational post. On Tuesday, you’ll post a tip.
On Wednesday you’ll post a testimonial, On Thursday you’ll promote your product. And on Friday, you’ll post a motivational Friday post.
Exercise: Create a simple content plan that will include what you will post about on each day. And what format i.e. On Monday a text post with an inspirational quote.
Remember, always ask the question,
- Why should my followers read this?
- What will they get out of it?
- Do yo want them to do something like share with friends?
Instagram Reels gives businesses the opportunity to create short videos. And share them on their profile page. Giving followers an inside look at what your business is all about. And encourages them to follow you and stay up to date. This is a good way to also grow followers Instagram.
Step 5: Growing and engaging your audience
A key thing to do to grow your Instagram audience. Is to comment and engage with your followers and non-followers.
Spend 10 to 20 minutes per day liking your followers posts and commenting on then. When they comment, be sure to always respond bac to their comment. Even a simple reply like ‘Thanks’ or an emoji goes well with your community.
Find brands, creators or influencer accounts who your potential audience follow. Visit the account and go to their last post. Look at who commented do the following:
- Like the comment
- Reply to the comment
- Go to their profile and follow them
Around 40% of the time, they will follow you back. (If you find you are following to many people, you can unfollow the followers)
Social Media Influencers
Influencer marketing is a way for businesses to connect with brands and influencers. Who can promote their products or services. Working with influencers, businesses can create a positive association with their brand. And reach a wider audience.
Additionally, influencer marketing can help to build trust and credibility with potential customers.
Collaborating with Instagram influencers. Is a powerful way to gain access to an engaged and loyal Instagram following.
- Find influencers in with 10k or more who have a similar audience to you.
- Reach out to them and invite them to partner with you on a campaign.
- Offer them a service or product for a discount or for free. In return they post about your business (or product).
Workout a deal with them about the number of posts. For example, they might post once. And have three stories over a period of a week.
Using hashtags correctly when you post can help you reach wider audiences.
This is because people either follow certain hashtags or search for hashtags. For example, people follow #entrerpeuership or #smallbusinessowners.
So if you post using those hashtags and the post is relevant to them. You have a chance to get seen.
One thing to understand is that hashtags have different volumes. The ones above have millions of posts using the same tags. Which means your post will most likely not be seen by anyone.
So a good strategy is to use small hashtag volumes with large ones. Use this strategy below:
- You use 30 hashtags (this is the post Instagram allow on a post)
- Use the Instagram search feature to search for hashtags
- Mix the hashtags i.e. use some that only have between 10k to 100k, some between 100k and 500k and others that have 500k+. This will give you more exposure then if you just went for the big hashtags as you’d get drowned out
- Use under the captions but use a few line breaks so your captions don’t look to messy
- Use hashtags that are relevant for your industry. And that are specific to that post.
- Kaybox will generally use hashtags about digital marketing and small business owners. And if a post is specifically about Instagram, we will mix them with Instagram hashtags.
Make sure that any hashtags used relate directly back to what is being posted. Otherwise they may get lost in translation among
Step 6: Keep On Track and Measure success
You can track your progress with analytics tools. When using Instagram for business. You should track your progress on achieving your targets.
You can use tools like Hootsuite, Buffer or Sprout Social to keep track of your audience. And measure the performance of your Instagram posts.
With an Instagram business profile, you can also use Instagram’s own analytics tool. It’s not as powerful as the others. But it’s enough to get you started and see if your progressing towards your goals.
This tool will allow you to see:
- How many people have viewed your posts
- How many people have commented on them,
- Where people are located.
- See how many followers you have
- How many people have followed you since you started using Instagram.
Free Download – Marketing Strategy Plan Workbook
Here’s a workbook you can download to create your Instagram Strategy and Plan. This will help you define your golas, get started the right way and reach your Instagram goals.
An Instagram account is a great way to connect with customers. And create a brand identity for your business. By following the steps in this guide. you can create an account that engages your audience and drives results.
If you’re a small business owner looking for help getting started on Instagram,. Or you need assistance managing your account and website. We offer affordable services that can get you where you want to be. Contact me today to learn more!